This was our very last week in October! It is hard to believe that we have already been in school for 43 days. We count the days together in our classroom using numbers, straws, and tally marks so each time I look at the calendar board I am amazed how quickly time has moved.
This week in 1st grade we reviewed all of our short vowel sounds in spelling, we learned how to write with focus, we continue to learn strategies to help us become better readers, we met with our care buddies so that they could read us their spooky Halloween stories and we have mixed the students up a bit for math instruction.
I encourage you to continue to work at home with your child on spelling! Having them spell even just short cvc words is so helpful. I gave a mini "test" on Friday to see how our review week of short vowel words went and most students did incredibly well, but it is always a good idea to practice! I have included below some words to start with. Then once your child is comfortable with these, try adding some blends to the words or making them more challenging in your own way. Another bit of a challenge is to have your child write a sentence with the words in them, still spelling them correctly! If you'd like some specific ideas for working with your child, please let me know! I'm happy to help support you at home in any way I can.
a: bat, cat, rat, sat, mad, bad, pad, pan, man, ran, fan, cab, tab, dab, cap, map, sap
e: bet, pet, let, bed, fed, red, hen, pen, vet, set, get
i: bin, bid, big, bit, dim, did, dig, dip, fin, fit, him, his, hid, hit, hip, kit, lid, lit, lip
o: bop, cop, dog, dot, fog, got, hog, hot, jog, jot, log, lot, mob, mom, mop, nod, not, pod, pot, rod, rot, top
u: bun, bus, bud, bug, cut, cup, dug, fun, gum, hum, hug, hut, jug, jut, lug, mug, nut, pun, pug, pup, rub, run, rum, rug, rut, sub, sun, sum, tug
No comments:
Post a Comment